When a death occurs in your family, you will be faced with important tasks and decision-making during a very difficult time. You may not know what to do or when to begin making arrangements. Bearing the responsibility can be overwhelming. Remember that you are not alone. Walter J. Johnson Funeral Home or Sullivan Funeral Home is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist you with the details and offer our guidance. We have compiled the following list to help guide you through the steps you will need to take when a death has occurred. Your funeral director will help coordinate all of the details when you meet for an arrangement conference.
After a death has occurred, notify Walter J. Johnson Funeral Home by calling 732-382-6262, or Sullivan Funeral Home by calling 908-241-2345.
We will then set an appointment time for you to come to the funeral home to complete the details of the funeral arrangement. We will ask you to bring in some items and information that will be necessary to complete the arrangement.
The "To-Do" List:
Things to bring with you to the arrangement conference
We believe every service deserves to be truly memorable, and correct to the finest detail. You can rely on our family of professionals. We're here to help. The following is a checklist of important information to bring with you to the arrangement conference:
Vital Statistics Needed:
- Full legal name
- Full legal address
- Marital status
- Date and place of birth
- Last place of employment (name, town, state)
- Years of education
- Social security number
- Place of burial, entombment or cremation
- The name, address, and phone number of person in charge of these arrangements
- Parent's names (including mother's maiden name)
- Physician's name, phone number, and address if known
- Veteran's discharge papers
- Cemetery deed or grave location
Biographical Information Needed:
- Names, town and state of residence of survivors (Don't forget brothers, sisters, and possible close friends or partners)
- Chronological order of places of residence
- Memberships in clubs, organizations, volunteer work and positions held
- Religious affiliation, church memberships(s), and positions held within the church
- Military information
- Education/schooling (be specific with degrees, and years of graduation if possible)
- Alumni organizations
- Special hobbies, interests and awards received
- Personal remarks about the deceased
- Work history (positions held, years of service, awards, etc…)
- Charitable donations that will be made in the name of the deceased
Funeral Information Needed:
- Where and when do you want visiting hours or a gathering?
- Where and when should the ceremony be held?
- Should there be any special services by civic and volunteer group?
- Name of clergy, church, and religious affiliation
- Who are to be pallbearers?
- What newspapers should we be contacting (local, state, national)?
- Is monument work to be done?
- How many certified copies of the death certificate will you need?
Clothing and Other Items Needed:
- Color picture of the decedent (It will be returned to you in original condition)
- Clothing, including underclothing (What would you like to see your loved one wearing?)
- Shoes are optional
- Jewelry, glasses, personal effects (rosaries, icons, prayer books, medals, etc…)
- What personal effects should be returned to the family, and what should stay with the deceased?
Death Out of State
When funeral arrangements must unexpectedly be made away from home, Walter J. Johnson Funeral Home and Sullivan Funeral Home will assist you in any way that we can.
WHAT TO DO FIRST
Call Walter J. Johnson Funeral Home at 732-382-6262 or Sullivan Funeral Home at 908-241-2345 day or night. It is not necessary for you to contact an out-of-state funeral home. We can do this for you. We will make the arrangements necessary to transport the deceased to the out-of-state funeral home for embalming, preparation, and return our funeral home. We will need some basic information from you, and we will ask you to call us upon your return to NJ to set a time for an arrangement conference.